Some industries are further ahead, others still have to catch up. We're not just talking about modern IT infrastructures and end devices, fast data lines or intelligent, usually highly specialized software systems. We're also talking about the mobile use of formerly location-based systems.
There are already various options for mobile connection of internal company IT processes via smartphones or tablets. They support on-site employees, provide them with important information and give them access to corporate data.
The possibilities of mobile applications will almost inevitably be further optimized in the course of digitization. This includes the use of assisted reality via smartglasses such as the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1. As wearable computing, they will be an important component in the digital support of manual work processes in the future and form the interface between technology and humans.
Their major advantage over smartphones and tablets is complete voice control. The functionality of the RealWear HMT-1 and RealWear HMT-1Z1 smartglasses frees up the hands for direct and uninterrupted work at the job site. They open up the opportunity to significantly increase the efficiency of the employee on site. It is to be expected that the use of smatglasses will permanently change working methods and work practices in many areas. However, this requires very robust models that can be used in harsh industrial environments.
RealWear HMT-1 and RealWear HMT-1Z1 - industrial requirements implemented
After intensive development work, RealWear was able to launch the RealWear HMT-1 and RealWear HMT-1Z1 versions of smartglasses that are actually suitable for industrial use. As head-mounted tablets (HMT), they are based on a full-fledged, extremely robust Android tablet. Via the corresponding software applications, they can perform a wide range of functions or efficiently support users during missions of all kinds. Since they are controlled exclusively via verbal announcements, professional voice recognition is required. In the case of the RealWear HMT-1 and RealWear HMT-1Z1, it works flawlessly and reliably online or offline and without an Internet connection at an ambient noise level of up to 95 dB.
The RealWear HMT-1 and RealWear HMT-1Z1 are waterproof, dustproof and shockproof. In addition, the RealWear HMT-1 and RealWear HMT-1Z1 can be used in temperatures ranging from -20 to +50 degrees Celsius and can be easily combined with safety equipment such as helmets, caps or goggles. This basic equipment in combination with a long battery life predestines the RealWear HMT-1 and RealWear HMT-1Z1 for use even in difficult industrial areas.
The user uses a "boom arm" with an integrated display that can be folded in front of the eye as needed and that corresponds to the image size of a 7-inch tablet screen. The integrated video camera records the user's field of view so it can be shared and discussed with others.
HMT-1Z1 with ATEX certification is not only safe, but explosion-proof.
The special feature of the RealWear HMT-1Z1 version is its ATEX, IECEx and NEC500 certification. The RealWear HMT-1Z1 can be used in explosive or sensitive environments of petrochemical or pharmaceutical plants as well as in the food industry or in the production of cosmetics.
The RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1 are field-proven in a wide range of applications
With their features and technical capabilities, the RealWear HMT-1 and RealWear HMT-1Z1 versions open up various fields of application with a wide range of uses.
Due to their features, the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1 smartglasses are particularly suitable for remote support during remote work steps. This can take place within a company or from a company to an external location. Here are just a few examples:
- General maintenance: The field worker can request assistance as needed in the form of data, drawings, pictures or instructional steps, as well as expert knowledge.
- Repairs for unforeseen machine failures: The remote expert can see the problem at the machine 1:1 without a time lag, analyze the error and fix it with the help of the field employee.
- Commissioning of machines or plant components: New machines can be commissioned on site step by step under the guidance of the remote expert by the customer.
- Acceptance of components: Via remote maintenance software, the component acceptance can be processed in all necessary steps via virtual video appointment.
The advantages of working with smartglasses are obvious. Fewer experts are tied up, who have to work on site at the customer's premises. Lengthy and grueling travel is eliminated. This gives the experts more time to work through various situations and problems from the workplace on a daily basis.
With the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1 to digital workflows.
- Maintenance work: Digital checklists support and guide on-site workers during these routine tasks. During the work process, each employee has the correct and optimized execution steps for his process.
- Documentation through work logs: Every work step can be documented via the video camera. At the same time, the employee can record the material used, defect descriptions or inspection work planned for the future.
- Analysis of work steps: Based on the video recordings, companies can analyze the individual work steps in terms of time and effort, change them if necessary, and thus optimize workflows. In this digital dialog, companies build individual digital workflows for field workers.
The integrated camera and microphones of the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z transmit image and sound from the technical employee in the field to the remote expert in the plant and vice versa. This permanent technical support is particularly interesting for industries such as mechanical and plant engineering, where even short outages lead to high losses and difficulties in meeting deadlines.
The RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1 are also optimal instruments for training support and education
Training and education of employees and customer staff is an important aspect that concerns not only software manufacturers, management consultancies but also and perhaps especially the mechanical and plant engineering industry.
Via the various functionalities and the corresponding programs or apps, the RealWear HMT-1 is here an effective and reliable instrument for training purposes.
- Supporting trainees in performing work steps: Based on the detailed instructions, they can practice and deepen the work steps directly on the object. This allows departments to integrate them earlier into real field operations. In addition, operating instructions or internal support material are available to them at any time.
- Induction of new employees: Shortening of the induction period through permanent monitoring and support. With the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1, companies can integrate inexperienced colleagues into the value chain more quickly.
- Deployment of employees from other professions: In emergency situations, employees from other professions can also perform work directly on the machine under the guidance of the remote expert.
- Training of customer employees: Thanks to the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1, the customer's employees can be familiarized with the machine functions and work processes. Costly on-site training measures are reduced.
Through the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1, the work steps in production and service become transparent and understandable for employees. The smartglasses increase the speed of learning, as the number of participants in a training session is no longer limited due to lack of space at the machine. Errors are also reduced and individual productivity is increased with the help of the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1.
This training aspect in particular can be a real advantage, for example, in the event of seasonal fluctuations in workload or vacation or illness of permanent staff, as even unskilled workers can be deployed with the support of the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1. In times of shortage of skilled workers, this is an argument for working with the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1 that should not be underestimated. Digital work support with the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1 simultaneously ensures error reduction while maintaining high quality and production reliability.
RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1 - ideal companions in machine and plant construction
For many areas of application in industry and service - this applies in particular to service-intensive machine and plant construction - the RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1 are robust tools for making everyday work easier and increasing productivity with manageable resources. The RealWear HMT-1 or RealWear HMT-1Z1 offer good examples of pragmatic and workable solutions for digitalization in production, trade and service companies.
ADTANCE is a leading international After-Sales Service technology platform provider for manufactures, industrial companies and mechanical engineering organizations. The ADTANCE Smart Service Platform is the only solution that digitizes the entire After Sales Service lifecycle from live remote support to predictive maintenance and resource planning. More than 500 companies in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, chemical, mechanical engineering, oil and gas rely on ADTANCE solutions. Founded in 2015, ADTANCE is privately held with headquarters in Wald-Michelbach, Germany and offices in Detroit, Michigan USA as well as Stade, Germany. For more information, visit www.adtance.com and follow @adtance.